Monday, December 15, 2008

a new...old...tradition

I've freaked out quite a few people lately with two declarations; first, I am no longer celebrating Christmas, and second I will begin celebrating Hanukkah this year. The first wasn't the most shocking as I've pretty much always been disgusted by the materialism and nastiness that comes forth this time of year-but I had always enjoyed being with friends/family which is also a result of the holiday season. However, my stance on no longer celebrating Christmas is directly related to my choosing to celebrate Hanukkah.

I wouldn't call myself "Jewish" in the culturally understood sense of the word, and I wouldn't say I've "converted" exactly. If you've read my previous post you will understand, however, where I am (or at least understand I'm in a process). My decision has to do with celebrating with family. When we accept Christ we are told we are now "grafted in the vine"...we have, in essence, been adopted into God's chosen people. We are now part of a bigger family. Which, in itself is incredibly exciting! So, while Hanukkah isn't one of the celebrations dictated by God, it is one which my "family" commonly celebrates-and it's one that it seems Jesus celebrated (and again, if it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for his followers). Perhaps I don't HAVE to celebrate it, it's just a celebration of a historical event which I'm still learning and understanding about. And, like Christmas, it can fall into the a category of materialism and nastiness if one chooses. I don't choose that.

I have been part of a family in another culture. I know what it's like to be included in events, celebrations, customs which I am not accustomed to in my "whiteness". I know the excitement of being asked to be part of something which traditionally doesn't include outsiders; not because they aren't welcome, but rather because they usually aren't around or interested. Being brought into some one's family and accepted as one of their own is exciting, and a learning experience. When I was in Pakistan I learned I enjoyed wearing shalwar kameese, I found new foods, music, and various other cultural institutions which I thoroughly enjoyed. How much greater to be adopted into God's people!? For all of my pride in my Pakistani experience, I should (and do) have a greater pride in learning who I truly am by being a "Christian". Celebrating Hanukkah is simply celebrating with my family-and learning to be included in their ways. Not celebrating Christmas, I believe, is being obedient to God's desire for us to not be like the world. Not to adopt celebrations and customs which are anti-God (having learned that just about EVERYTHING in the "Christmas" celebration derives from pagan celebrations and the real reason someone decided Jesus was born on Dec. 25th was more because Christians wanted something to do themselves during this time of year rather than be set-apart as commanded.

I like what the author of "Restoration" has to say (I can't remember his name right now). To sum it up, he says it's not about pointing a finger at the "church", rather it's just time for the "church" to understand where we come from and where we belong and to right the wrongs which have become our faith. I surely believe that and I'm not running around forbidding my folks to put up their Christmas stuff-and I haven't become some crazy lady at work when they put up the decorations. More because I've always accepted I live in the world and things will happen around me which I differ of opinions on-and that's okay (despite what you may think :) ) I am, however, excited and encouraged about what I've been learning and where I believe God is taking me. I'm excited to start a new tradition, especially with Ezzah. I'm excited to learn more about the history of the family I've been adopted into.

I'm currently finishing up a book which gives a really good historical account of the season...and let me tell you...not only is Jesus NOT the reason, but He would have nothing to do with what's going on in the "church" by all accounts. Rather, he was (and most likely be) at a synagogue.

Some are still a little freaked out, some will disagree, and some will not be surprised...but all in all-Happy Holidays

No comments: