Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No other gods

My recent political decisions has, among other things, risen quite a concern with those whom I've spoken to. While I don't walk around offering my opinion unsolicited, when asked who I will vote for, and I say "no one" and when asked "why" I tell them "because I don't believe it's my place" WAH!? As the sign outside the Baptist church, and the guy on the radio said-if Christians don't vote we will face the consequences. Hhmmmm. I live in a society which feels that this country is only valuable if it lives by, pick a version, Biblical standards. Most people I come across seem to be Americans who are Christian. This concerns me. Many feel it is our duty to protect our country by making sin illegal. Of course, this is all based on which sin they are most concerned with. In a statement, I believe Christians are not meant to be part of what is going on in the land beyond sharing the gospel and loving their neighbor. I believe the Bible is explicit about the idea of God's people and their roles on the earth. I also believe when Christians decide their job is not in the government, they may start doing a better job in the Church. Far too long has the government been covering the slack of the Church. Here's where I find my evidence:

1. The Israelites were given the priests and had their "government" set before them by God. The leaders were chosen in the way God deemed proper. Then, the people demanded a King "just like the other guys" until God finally relented. Despite His warnings....they just had to be like the other guys. We can look throughout history and see how this has essentially done the people of the Lord no good what so ever.

2. Not even the Messiah was brought in as a political/military leader. THE SAVIOR OF ALL MANKIND WAS NOT A POLITICIAN! Isn't this amazing. It was, rather, someone who focused on behavior, relationship, teaching, loving, healing, listening, feeding...etc. etc. Obviously this can't be done through political/military rule, not sufficiently anyway-because I bet God knew what He was doing.

3. We are commanded to not only take the word into the world, but the disciples were also told that if someone did not listen, shake the dust from their sandals (obviously none of this is in quotations). There is not one mention of "go into a town and demand laws to form a sinless nation". Perhaps because God knew that wouldn't work?

4. We are commanded to be set apart. I don't believe this simply means don't use naughty words and watch nasty TV (and go to Church every other night of the week). If one studies the "Old Testament" and sees where this concept comes from, it's quite apparent that the people of the Lord are meant to be concerned with living for him, not being concerned with what's going on on the outside.

5. Just because a law legalizes something, doesn't mean the believer has to do it! Therefore, it stands to argue that just because laws get passed doesn't mean one's faith has to suffer. We are going to change people's lifestyles simply by passing some law, it just means they'll live it/do it differently......but they'll still live it.


6. Once we begin taking the way the rights of people in a "free" country, we head down a road which will lead to our own rights being taken away. If you begin saying that voting based on religious ground is acceptable, once the Christian is no longer the majority, guess what? Don't come crying when you have to wear a scarf, or can't wear a cross.

7. If you want the government to stay out of the Church, don't put the Church in the government. Just as the government forefathers which so many people like to quote (although they rarely really can) were not all quite the brand of Christianity many of the evangelicals would believe in and/or approve of...neither are all of the politicians...so why on earth would you put your faith in their hands? The Church has a job, and it's not in the government.

8. Even if it leads to losing our "rights"...the fact is, we are not promised rights, we are actually told to praise God when persecuted in Jesus name. Evangelical Christians in America have been spoiled beyond belief. This isn't for lack of energy. They've managed to prosecute, kill, chase away, and force change from virtually any group who believes something slightly different than their version. (again, even some of their beloved forefathers would fall into this by today's standards). We are the majority because we have forcefully made sure of that.

9. It's what the forefather's wanted. For those who just can't get over what the founding fathers intended....they intended to be able to worship as they pleased....(see # 7) (and not pay taxes on sugar)

My list could go on, but I won't continue for the moment. Mainly because I'm quite sleepy. I do believe we are commanded to follow the laws of the land, and I am not saying I am in hope of losing my ability to worship when/where I want.....but if I lose that right by man...that won't change what I do. Goes both ways.

No comments: